Give Back at Home!

Friends are always asking me how they can give back or where they can donate a certain item. That said, I decided to give you an early Christmas gift. I'm giving you a few ideas of how you can give back and feel good. And they are ALL Philly based. You know me, I rep my city so PROUDLY.

Let's get right to it.

1) Of course I'll start with this. My heart, Fairy Godmothers Inc. Clean out your closet, you need more room for your bulky, comfy sweaters anyway. So give them your bridesmaid dress from last fall, your glitter sparkle shoes that you never wear and that rhinestone tiara from your own high school prom.

2) That suit that you haven't worn in a few years, for Christ's sake, give it to someone who will and NEEDS it to get that job they want so badly. Pass that jawn on to Career Wardrobe.

3&4) Philabundance. Duh. Donate your can goods and whatnot. You need to eat I know but there are people in our area who could use that box of mini wheats and canned green beans more. Also check out the Coalition Against Hunger, they have a few ways to help out this holiday season.

5) Donate your "beater." Got a beat up bike that's collecting some dust. Donate it to Neighborhood Bike Works.

6) The Library. Remember when we thought the library was going to close? Remember that devastation you felt? Yea...lets have that NOT happen again

7) This one is for Sheila Casey. An amazing, giving, beautiful spirited coworker and friend of mine. Instead of trading in and getting money for her old car when getting her sweet new whip. she donated it to WXPN. Why? Because she is phucking rad and because she loves public radio more than anyone I know. She is my fav hippie ever.

8) Every Philly kid like myself knows that Please Touch is where its at. That place always brought join to me as a child and now my nephews (ahem, who are annual members too)

9) The Nation's first ZOO. hell yea. Can't make a donation? You can VOLUNTEER!

10) I just ADORE this organization and their Mission. Cradles to Crayons. Or as a Philly person would say cradles to crowns. Yes we pronounce things differently. deal.

11) Attention Chefs! Cook and feel full..of love! Ronald McDonald House. I've cooked there 4 times and its been hands down the best volunteer experience I've ever had.

12) I learned alot about the greatest city in the world from this site. If you have $5 to share, please do.
I'm a sucker for anything that tells the great stories of Philly. If you can't spare the couple bucks, just check the site out, please :)

13) Thanks to Nazareth Academy for introducing me to the St Francis Inn, that helps where its needed. Give food or your time.

14) Don't like how your Philly hood is shaping up these days? Don't sit on ya ass! Do something! Join the Friend of Campbell Square or NKCDC and make a difference.

15) Holla! West Philly Local breaks it DOWN for you. Everything from the arts to gardening even info for joining civic associations!

16) I love Cats and my West Philly peeps to do. Check it, meow!

17) I always adored Gary Papa of 6ABC and was devastated when he lost his battle prostate cancer. Now my father has been diagnosed with the same. Give what you can.  I want my dad to be around for a long time :)

18) Each Christmas season, my friend Dave has his kids give at least 2 toys back to community. This tradition started with his first son's 2nd Christmas. He would tell his sons "since you got to enjoy it for a  or more...lets share with a child who doesn't have many or any toys at all." As the kids got older they really looked forward to "sharing" Teaches a great lesson huh? So mom's and dad's, those toys collecting dust. Why don't you considering sharing? :) What better place to start than at CHOP, where those sweet kids could you some fun and smiles!
19) This article is from 2 years ago but it should help those out in the Mt Airy/Germantown/Manayunk area who are looking to give back this month.

20) THIS IS INCREDIBLE. The United Way gives you a breakdown of exactly where they need help ALL over Philly during the Holidays! Yes!

21) Musicians! Know that guitar that collecting dust or the cowbell that you only use when you re drunk and you want to do your best will ferrell impression? DONATE it damnit. There are kids in this beautiful city of ours who want to make sweet sweet music! You have the power to help them! Musicopia has dozens of drop off locations all over the tristate area. all instruments donated at 100% tax deductible.

22) Hey Marathon Runner! Sure it's great you have all that bling from finish your races..but did you know that those medals can be donated for a GREAT cause. Medals 4 Mettle is a non profit org that collects medals and distributes them to cancer patients all over the country. I'll be volunteering with the Philly chapter in 2013!

23) Didn't like anything above? Really, I gave you alot. ha! I kid. If you want to find the PERFECT volunteer job check out Volunteer Match.

24) The City of Doggie Love. If I had a dog I'd name him Nash.

25) Finally, the best way to give back this holiday season is to make time for you. Pray, medidate, dance, sing, play the guitar or go on a holiday bar crawl! Do something that makes your heart smile :)

Now go out there, make me proud & do some good.
love you mucho.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#6 - Skate at Rock Center CHECK

#28- Promotion